Aug 9, 2017

You put your left hand in...

Have you ever tried to do your usual chores with your non-dominant hand for any length of time? I’m a righty, along with approximately 90% of the population, but I have a family member with chronic issues to her right wrist (like me she’s a righty), and it makes life ridiculously difficult.

However, practising a little left-handedness can be beneficial for our brains. Research has shown that musicians who use both hands to play their instruments have a larger corpus callosum, which is the part of the brain that connects the two hemispheres. [Hmm…now I’m wondering if typing can create similar results?] Apparently using our non-dominant hand can stimulate our brain’s plasticity, and strengthens neural connections in the brain. In effect, it’s exercise for the brain.

What’s more, it can help increase creativity too. When we use our non-dominant hand, both sides of our brains become active—an ideal environment for creativity and problem solving, according to the experts. This is good news for writers, evidently. We’re always looking for ways to increase our creativity. But I think creativity can benefit everyone.

When I was a teenager and the ironing became my chore, there was only one available power point in the living room that I could use to plug in the iron. If I wanted to watch the TV while I ironed, I had to iron left handed. Naturally that’s what I did.

I rarely iron these days (I mean, seriously, who has the time? Besides, I loathe ironing). Yet I can still iron just as well with my left hand as I can with my right.

All of this has had me trying out a few experiments. I mean, it can’t hurt right?

 I’ve started brushing my teeth with my left hand—dear lord, who knew I could be such a klutz at brushing my teeth! I’ve been eating yogurts left-handed, though I still open them with my right because…well, I know yoghurt is supposed to be good for you, but perhaps not so good for your hair, lap and the kitchen. ;-) For the same reason I’ve not advanced to using sharp knives with my left hand either and I doubt I will (I’ve no intention of getting carried away). But I’m prepared to soldier on with a few minor tasks in the interests of increased brain plasticity (can you tell I just love saying brain plasticity?)—like playing solitaire on my ipad (frustratingly slow), and moving my trackpad to the left every now and again. We’ll see how it goes…



What about you—are you ambidextrous? Are there any surprising things you do with your non-dominant hand? Or, like me, are you an absolute klutz?


P.S. Sarah and the Secret Sheikh is  available in Australia and New Zealand on August 21! And you can grab the ebook now at the Harlequin store.

Harlequin
Amazon

17 comments:

  1. Michelle, totally agree about the ironing. There are so many better things to be doing with our time! I do sometimes trying using my left hand to do things but often give up in frustration at the mess I make. It's not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm amazed at how hard even simple things are to do with my left hand -- like doing up a zipper or opening a door -- so there's buckley's of me ever doing anything complicated (but then maybe touch typing is complicated). But...I'm becoming a true proficient at brushing my teeth left-handed! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Michelle

    I had my right arm in a sling for 6 weeks last year and yes had to do a lot of things with my left hane and lets say it was awkward for me but you do what you have to preparing and cooking meals was one of the hardest to do but I did get a lot of help šŸ˜€ not sur whether I noticed any change in my way of thinking though

    Oh and 3 will be falling into ypur new obe very soon and looking forward to it

    Have fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I don't know how you managed, Helen. I tried stirring a saucepan with my left hand last night and the saucepan nearly went flying off the stove. But needs must is a strong motivation -- we do what we have to do.

      Ooh, hope you enjoy Sarah and her Sheikh! :-)

      Delete
  3. Lets just say I'd be screwed, Michelle, if I had to use my left hand for anything other than scratching myself :-)
    My older brother though eats left handed - everything else right handed except that, always has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at how much clumsier I am with my left hand when my right is so...capable! I certainly won't be tying my right hand behind my back any time soon. ;-)

      Wow, how odd that your brother does just that one thing with his left hand. It's kinda cool. :-)

      Delete
  4. not ambidextrous at all. However, I burned my right thumb this afternoon and could not open my acetaminophen bottle tonight because I needed the thumb to line up the arrows on the childproof (and now Laurie proof) bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch on the burned thumb, Laurie! I'm not good with childproof bottles at the best of time, let alone injured.

      Delete
  5. Right handed. When I hand hand surgery (right hand), I had to write on the chalk board with my left hand. At least it was a stable sturdy item. I had a sloppy handwriting for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love my left-handed writing to become legible, Mary, but it's going to take a lot of practice! Good for you for being able to manage chalk on a chalk board.

      Delete
  6. Michelle, I hurt my elbow quite badly and have been forced to use my left hand instead. I have discovered I am extremely right handed! Clumsy uselessness might sum it up. Maybe by the time my right arm stopes hoping I will have grown some new neural connections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your brain plasticity increases ten fold, Kandy. After an elbow injury like that you have to earn a silver lining or two!

      Delete
  7. I occasionally experimented with try to switch hands for some things (including which direction I cartwheeled) when I was younger, but never tried super hard at it. My older son DID train himself to take notes with his non-dominant hand, and brush his teeth, and all kinds of things--I do think it's been fun and a way for him to push himself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Fedora, I won't be trying any cartwheels from either side, LOL. But our yoga instructor often gets us to use our non-dominant leg for some things. And good on your son for training himself to use his other hand! Glad I'm not the only one. :-)

      Delete
  8. Michelle, I'd heard some of this too. Isn't it fascinating. Sometimes I try to use my left hand for brushing my teeth, but boy is it tough to do a good job! I do, however, use my left hand for the computer mouse most of the time, after a stint where I over-used my right and needed a break. You've inspired me - I'm going to use my non-dominant hand more often now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fascinating, Annie! And it seems such a small thing to do...until I try to do it, LOL, and then it provides some light entertainment. Good on you for using your left hand for the mouse (as soon as I tidy my desk, I'm moving my trackpad to the left)...but I expect it'll take me a while before I'm even halfway as good as I am with my right -- oh well). :-)

      Delete